Our Key Services
Our services offered revolve around assisting many different types of workplace industries in maintaining a safe and healthy environment through the most reliable and cost effective strategies. They range from getting employees back to work faster, to creating custom health and wellness programs that are fit to each and every group.
- Managing The Ill Or Sick Employee
- Workplace Injury Management
- Preplacement & Medicals
- Health & Wellness Solutions
Managing The Ill Or Sick Employee
Bridging the gap between knowledge and action
We assist employers in getting ill or sick employees back to work sooner. Absenteeism is costly because it directly affects the productivity and the culture of the workplace. Working with Health Care Providers, we bridge the gap in knowledge and any barriers to successfully return the employee to the workplace in a safe and timely matter.
Components of managing the sick or ill employee
- Review medical reasons for being absent
- Identify any gaps in care
- Identify abilities of sick or injured employees
- Identify with employer modified work opportunities
- Liaise with health care providers
- Educate employees, employers and treating health care professionals on the benefits of early return to work
- Monitor progress on a return to work program
- Review any permanent accommodations that are required and the impact on the employee and employer
Example – Dealing with mental health issues
- Provide education for employees and employers on managing issues such as depression, drug and/or alcohol abuse.
- Ensure that the employee has been referred and is able to utilize the appropriate resources.
- Occupational Health Nurse maintains a supportive role (e.g. counselling while at work, modified work meetings, support established treatment plan by working collaboratively with other health care providers).
Workplace Injury Management
Assisting with costly and time-consuming workplace injuries
With first-hand knowledge of WSIB and health care in the north, we assist in many aspects of work related injuries. From completion of forms on behalf of the employers, to working with Health Care Providers in identifying accurate abilities, we work hard to eliminate costly lost-time injuries and maintain injured workers in the workplace. There are tremendous benefits for employers and employees of having a strategy in place when an injury occurs in the workplace.
Components of workplace injury management
- Contact with employee to determine extent of injury
- Assist in accessing care when possible
- Identify abilities of the injured employee
- Assist employer in identifying appropriate jobs or steps to modify jobs
- Assist and administer WSIB programs
- Follow up with injured workers
- Liaise with WSIB to provide timely return to work
- Minimize Lost Time injuries
- Assist employers with WSIB reporting compliance
- Collaborate with other health care professionals as necessary
Example – Employee sustains a work related back injury
- Ensure that policies and procedures are in place that reflect an effective disability management program e.g. a list of modified jobs that are available to meet the needs of the employer and employee.
- Education for all employees as to the benefit of early return to work programs provided on a regular basis (e.g. this can be done when WSIB provides their cost statements to the employer on a quarterly basis).
- Provide and or promote early treatment to decrease chances of complications or increased damage (particularly for those employees that do not have a health care provider).
- Reporting of injury to WSIB in the time required and working collaboratively with the assigned WSIB case manager and or return to work specialist to either maintain the employee at work or provide a safe return to work.
- Notify the Ministry of Labor as per legislation and again work collaboratively with the inspector to deal with any issues that are identified as a result of the incident.
- Work with the injured employee to identify issues as they arise and dealing with them in a timely fashion so as to decrease the chances of setbacks (e.g. pain management, develop or support a physical activity regime by working with physiotherapist, massage therapist, etc.).
- Collaborate with physician as necessary.
Preplacement & Surveillance Medicals
Tailored medical testing with comprehensive results
We provide baseline and periodic medicals that are tailored to the needs of the employer. Research has shown that preplacement testing can reduce claim costs significantly and surveillance medicals are necessary to meet legislated standards.
Components of replacement & surveillance medicals
- Medical evaluations by an experienced physician who works in the field of occupational medicine
- Hearing tests for baseline and periodic requirements
- Vision testing
- Lung function testing
- Lifting ability assessments with a certified kinesiologist
- Drug and alcohol collections through DriverCheck
- Medical surveillance
- Hearing conservation program
- Ergonomic assessments
- Respiratory protection program
Example – A 56 year old make is hired as an electrician at a company and has a preplacement medical
- An audiogram (hearing test) is performed as part of the preplacement medical.
- This reveals significant Noise Induced Hearing Loss (NIHL).
- An occupational history reveals that this employee has been an electrician for over 30 years.
- He has worked for 10 different contractors during this time.
- He has noticed that his partner complains about the volume on the TV.
- A full assessment with an Audiologist is arranged.
- The employee is diagnosed with NIHL and a claim is initiated with WSIB.
- The employee decides to proceed with hearing amplification.
- The costs for this claim is not borne by the employer since the diagnosis occurred within the first six months of employment.
- The same diagnosis made one year later, would have been the responsibility of the new employer even though the diagnosis could have been made previously.
Health & Wellness Solutions
Healthy employees enhance workplace productivity
Our staff is knowledgeable about health concerns that face people today. Invest in your staff by bringing us in to give health and wellness talks. Develop and implement workplace health and wellness that reflect employees needs and support overall corporate goals. Healthy workplace environment is a key contributor to the health and well-being of employees.
Components of health & wellness solutions
- Smoking cessation program
- Fitness promotion
- Healthy eating
- Immunization programs (Flu clinics)
- Blood pressure clinics
- Substance abuse counselling
- Assess the need and or benefits of Employee and Family Assistance Programs
- Optimizing function of ageing employees
- Optimizing function of employees with chronic illnesses (e.g. diabetes, depression, etc.)
- Assist in attaining a psychologically safe work environment
- Identify workplace hazards
- Perform and or coordinate risk assessments
- Recommend prevention measures to protect workers from risks
- Hazard analysis
- Exposure monitoring
- Injury prevention programs
- Promote standard first aid with employees
- Promote maintenance of first aid equipment
Example – A “healthy” mid-aged male attends a health fair providing blood sugar and blood pressure testing
- A 48 year old male attends the health fair at his workplace.
- He has not seen his Health Care Provider in over ten years.
- A glucometer test reveals a high blood sugar reading.
- A blood pressure test reveals a high blood pressure.
- The OHN counsels the employee to make an appointment with their Health Care Provider.
- Six months later, the employee has brought his blood pressure and newly diagnosed diabetes under control with the assistance of the Health Care Provider.
- The employee had never thought that he could have diabetes or high blood pressure and was too busy to ever see his Health Care Provider.
- Early diagnosis and intervention is key to preventing lifelong complications.
The DAMPC Benefits
There are many issues that employers are presently facing that would benefit from an employee and occupational health partnership. Some of the most common and costly issues could easily be identified and managed with a proper strategy that is comprised of benefits below.
Reduce Insurance Premiums
A partnership can help with the reduction of WSIB premiums and prevent additional costs associated with workplace hazards.
Improve Employee Relations
See an improvement in co-operation by bridging the gap between workplace employee, employer, and union.
Enhance Health & Safety
Enhance employee well-being and encourage optimal health and safety through customized programs.
Short & Long Term Savings
Experience short and long term savings through higher employee production values, healthier, ageless workers, and drug benefit costs.
Maintain productive employment by addressing the impact of chronic illness and aging among workplace employees.
Expand Corporate Profile
It can enhance your company or organization’s corporate profile, and make you the employer of choice for potential candidates.
It will facilitate compliance with legislative requirements, as well as audits, and will reduce the risk of financial penalties.
It will contribute to the overall corporate viability and competitiveness in the your industry’s marketplace.